Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Habits

I've developed several habits here that I hope stay with me for my entire life.

1) 네 (pronounced nay). Koreans use this word as a filler word. Dictionary definition is "yes," but it serves a thousand functions. Take, for instance, this conversation that I've heard on the subway:

A) Yobosayo? (hello when answering the phone)
B) (takes 10 seconds to say something)
A) 네.
B) (takes 10 seconds)
A) 네.
B) (15 more seconds)
A) 네 (but extends the "ay" part a good two extra seconds...naaaaaaaaaaaaay)
End of conversation.

The conversation could be just B asking "we are getting together tonight, you want to join us? Okay great, we are meeting at 7 tonight, that work for you? Ok, bye." It also serves the functions of "you too, goodbye, I'll be right there, I agree, what's up and more. One of my Korean teachers just says it when the silence has been too long, but also when she changes directions with the conversation. It is like the commonly used words "uh-hu, you too" and "indubitably."

I've grown used to using it in common conversation:
"Hey Erik,"
"네.?"
"We are going on a hike, want to come?"
"네."
"Tell everybody! See you later."
"네." Make sure to extend the "ay" sound at the end.

I really want to keep this habit for my life. I like it so much!

2) One thing that I really like about Koreans is that when they say something doesn't exist or there isn't any of X, they cross their arms to make an "x" or they use their fingers. If I ask if something has meat, while explaining, they often cross their arms or fingers just to make sure I understand that it doesn't have any meat. When I order blueberry yogurt smoothies and the bastards are out, they explain and cross their arms. I've also started to do this. When I am trying to supply a negative answer, I have started crossing my arms as well. I am really starting to like it.

3) Awkward English sentences. I had dinner tonight with some members of the tennis club, which was pretty cool. Oh, on that thought, some bad news. Since I am the only male that is in tennis club (the other guys I brought decided not to join...), I can't go to their MT. I am pretty sad because I've been excited about this for a couple weeks now. When I got back to the dorms, I booked to join a group going to the DMZ on Sunday -- so I will get to see the DMZ this weekend, which is cool, but I could have seen the DMZ any weekend I wanted and MT was only this weekend. Anyways, so after dinner, the captain sends me this text message:

"Erik :D today, i am so happy! because, i had a great time with my best smash member and you. . enjoy played tennis, had dinner~! (? :D . . i can't . . use . . English very well) lol -* anyway, i'm soooo~ happy! m . . byebye~ see you next weekend~!! :)."

That message really inspired me. It inspired me so much that later in the night, I sent out a message to 17 I-House students to let them know that I was really happy at that moment. A couple asked me how drunk I was...

She sent me another message that had this commonly used awkward phrase "we will make happy memories together in Korea." I've had like five Koreans tell me that we will make happy memories. The first time I heard it, I cringed a little because it was just so bizarre. After reading it today and noticing how quickly I passed over it, I realized that I also really love that phrase. I think, from today on, when I meet people in America, this will be my introduction:

"Hello! My name is Erik...please don't forget me. I think we will make many happy memories together!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think with an introduction like that, people in America will be asking how drunk you are.

Red said...

Hello Erik, it is Steven. Please do not forget my name in Korea. I hope when you returned we can make life long memory together again. We can share similar and difference of Japan and Korea. Such Korea thing as "nay" has same in Japan but pronounced "un". I have same experience with phone conversation as you. Japan also make big X with arms. Maybe all of Asia do it?

:-) Steven

Q. Wil said...

So... how drunk ARE you?

And are you married yet? You seem to be dodging that question, and it's very important.