Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summer plans

I have some good news on my end, some bad news (probably) for everyone else.

I am going to stay at Ewha for the summer semester.

Since I didn't receive the scholarship with the State Department, I've been trying to find a way to continue learning Korean while I am here. The next best option was to extend my stay through the end of July (when the summer semester ends). Besides having a great time here and depressed at how short it has been, I also need to make a solid argument that my Korean study should satisfy my language requirement for my B.A. If I did the math right (which is often a statement made before I am proven wrong), OSU requires 24 credits of a foreign language to receive a B.A. After this semester, I will have 13.5 credits of Korean. This falls drastically short of what I need, meaning I would need to finish a second year of German when I got back (after taking a year off and learning Korean).

I think that even the addition of the summer semester will leave me a little short. However, it will be better to get as close to 24 as possible, and then compensate the difference with the study abroad experience.

The summer semester starts June 24th and ends in late July. At the end of August is a big tennis tournament between universities and I told the tennis team I would participate if I were still here. In the back of my mind, as I spoke, I hoped I would be here, since I was unsure at the time. I think the first week of classes at OSU start September 29th, leaving me essentially 20 days of moderate free time (I think I need like 10 days to get ready for the next term...but I am trying to downplay how much I need to do). In those 20 days, I would like to see if I can travel a little around South East Asia.

I've made some friends in Cambodia that told me I should visit them. I've been wanting to see Vietnam and Thailand, coupled with the Philippines. Singapore also sounds really fun. I haven't investigated prices or anything, but I am simply dreaming at this point.

I think that covers my plans for the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be a different system, but PSU only requires that you complete a 203 language course or show fluency in a language by taking a test with the language department. I suggest asking an advisor or the language departments to see if your experience will pass as adequate.

-Tim

Q. Wil said...

What Tim said.

Also, I don't understand why you hate us so much that you want to stay in Korea. Aren't we still cool? :(