Sunday, July 6, 2008

Confused beyond belief

The mosquitoes in Korea are astounding sometimes. Allow me to elaborate:

Weather around Seoul has recently been probably 85 degrees and humid. It has been the kind of humidity where if you were to start sweating, the perspiration would just stay there until you got to an air-conditioned place. Therefore, my room has had the window and door shut nearly all day to allow the air conditioning to do its magic. Here is where the confusion starts...where the hell do these mosquitoes come from?

The window doesn't open and the door is open for mere seconds a couple times a day and yet, each day, my roommate or I kill at least 1 mosquito. Just today, I've killed 3. And they never appear in pairs -- which confuses me into thinking there is only one and when I kill it, there are no mosquitoes left. That isn't the case and this is all a cruel joke against me. And it isn't like they only bite while sleeping and then leave me alone, what they do instead is buzz around my ear to make sure I notice and then they fly off and hide. This tricks me into thinking that I could go back to reading or watching a movie until...BUZZ...they are back.

This isn't paranoia or anything, but I took out my trash because I thought that 1 mosquito could just keep coming back to life or something. Maybe the mosquitoes in Korea just are able to survive being crushed. I swatted one out of the air today and then crushed underneath my mighty foot. I felt proud -- like I was crushing a violent rebellion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In 1668, Francesco Redi did an experiment to test whether flies were spontaneously generated from meat, and found that flies don't. I think what you've discovered through your own experiment, in the great year of 2008, that Korean mosquito's are spontaneously generated from your ears. I think that you should report this to the Ministry of Science.